What is the appropriate form to file gambling income for a non-resident?

0 Votes
8 months ago

I’ve been betting on sports in the U.S. for quite a while now. Despite the fact that I’m not a citizen or resident, I’ve come to understand that I still need to report my gambling earnings to the IRS. I am unsure, however, about which specific form I should utilize as a foreign gambler to file my winnings. Can someone with expertise or experience in this area provide some guidance?

To give a clearer picture, I’m from Canada, but I often visit Las Vegas. During these visits, sports betting is a recreational activity I enjoy partaking in. I’ve had a few decent wins and have over $10,000 to report this year. I want to ensure everything is reported correctly and legally. What documentation or form is needed for me as a non-resident to handle this reporting process?


-2 Votes
8 months ago

Sounds like you’ve had some luck in Las Vegas! To report your gambling winnings to the IRS as a non-resident, you will need to use Form 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return. This form allows you to report your gambling earnings and also any withheld taxes. Remember, each case can be unique, so it might be a good idea to consult with a tax professional or an accountant who is familiar with U.S. tax regulations. Do you typically consult with a tax professional for these matters?

Post a Reply

To top